Those who meditate and do yoga are familiar with the ohm. Other people have seen or found the ohm as part of the iconography in ancient and medieval era manuscripts, temples, monasteries, and spiritual retreats, not only in Hinduism but in Buddhism and Jainism as well........ Sometimes you don't understand the reason, but you feel it’s a thing that you must have. So, I will try and write about the meaning of the ohm, I hope that it will clearer.
The ohm, in some religions, is considered as the primal sound. It is a word in Sanskrit that is regarded as the ancient language in Hinduism.
Ohm is the seed sound of all creation. It is further believed that the Universe and all matter come from the sound Ohm. Therefore, Ohm encompasses everything: the beginning, the middle, and the end of all. It is the past, present, and future.
Ohm is considered the most sacred and famous mantra. Usually chanted at the beginning and end of most recitations, mantras, prayers, and texts. It is used in meditation and spiritual activities. Chanting Ohm can have a physical effect on the body, as it slows the overstimulated nervous system and calms the mind.
Now we come to the most important part, the symbol of Ohm consists of 5 parts: 3 curves, 1 semicircle, and 1 dot.
- The Unconscious State: The upper curve represents the state of deep sleep or the unconscious. In this state, the subconscious is shut down and the sleeper does not dream.
- The Waking State: The lower large curve represents the waking state of consciousness. It connects us to our own sense of something greater and is the state of consciousness most humans are in. In this state, the consciousness is turned outward and we encounter the world through our five senses.
- The Dream State: The Middle curve which lies between the first two curves, represents the dream state. In this state, consciousness is between deep sleep and waking and it is turned within.
- Pure Consciousness: The dot or Bindhi signifies the fourth state of consciousness, which is the state of pure consciousness. This is also referred to as “The Absolute State” or “Turiya.” It is a peaceful, quiet state where the consciousness is focused neither inward nor outward.
- Illusion/Maya State: The Semicircle that separates the dot from the 3 other curves, represents “Maya” or the Illusions that prevent us from realizing or reaching the highest state of consciousness.
I hope, I managed to give you a good review of the ohm and its meaning. Now when you see wear or add it to your keychain, you will understand the strength of it. These days, it can help us.....it will be great if you share your thought in the comments below.